Wednesday, June 4, 2008

June Curry - The Cookie Lady

Afton is only 20 miles or so from Charlottesville so we had a pretty easy trip to the cookie lady's place. We left pretty late and caught an afternoon thundershower during rush hour traffic, so it was pretty good we picked up the rear flashing lights (lights lights...). We crawled up a pretty long hill to get there, a lot of which I had to walk because I'm a punk. We had the mountains the next day to look forward to so I figured I'd save my legs as much as I could.

We pull up to June's two houses at the top of that hill, the first being the "bike house," where all the bikers stay, and the second being her house. Keep in mind, this is the last stop before the first big mountain trek of the trip, so people need to get rid of as much weight as possible. We stop at the first house to drop off gear and all, and are all blown away by the sheer amount of shit everywhere! Bike gear on the ceiling, walls, floor, photographs an postcards from literally all over the world lining every bit of previously open space. It was awesome, and truly a historic place for any traveling biker. We also saw "that guy," that we met the shop the previous day, whose name is Daniel and he's from Costa Rica. He was staying at the house as well, and is planning on traveling through the South to Arizona... mid summer... good luck buddy.

Next we go up to the other house to say hello to June, one of the sweetest women I've ever met in my life. She used to bake cookies for all the bikers coming through, but she is pretty up in years now and can't get around as much as she'd like to. She was born in the bike house and has lived there all her life, which is a pretty impressive one. I won't go into too much detail after that or else my post would be way too long, but I will hopefully be able to upload a video of her and the bike house.

No comments: